Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

setting up a sea fishing rod

3 posters

Go down

setting up a sea fishing rod Empty setting up a sea fishing rod

Post by piggy8874 Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 am

Hi, Im new to this sea fishing game, i went once and now im hooked, just wondering if any of you great guys or gals could show me or explain to me how to set up a sea fishing rod, Thanks guys.

piggy8874

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-26

Back to top Go down

setting up a sea fishing rod Empty Re: setting up a sea fishing rod

Post by ianbass Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:08 am

Hello mate, welcome to the site. I think before you start you could tell us what sort of set up you have, is it fixed spool or multiplier? Where abouts in the Country are you?(town will do) and then we can start to help.
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by piggy8874 Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 am

Hi & Thanks, my set up is a 12 foot beach rod, my reel is a shakespeare multiplier with 25lb line, ive bought 60lb shockleader and a couple of 5oz lead weights, i bought my hooks already made up. i asked the guy at the shop i bought them from and he just told me to go on you tube. im in great yarmouth, england.

piggy8874

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:08 am

First thing I'd do is change my tackle shop!!! If he gives out advice like that then he doesn't deserve any of your cash!!!! Not sure what type of coditions are down there, is it a plain sandy beach or is it rocky? Im going to assume there are more than one tackle shop so try another. The one you get the best help from is the one you'll go back to all the time. The line seems a little heavy, 15-18lb is usually more than eneough obviously with a 60lb shockleader and you'll cast further with thinner line. My first bit of advice is DONT go mad and buy LOADS of tackle, maybe 3-4 5oz leads and 3-4 2 hook flapper rigs. If you buy loads of gear and decide you DONT like sea fishing you'll loose a fair bit of money. You can always get more as you progress. Second bit of advice look at some casting clips on you tube. DONT try and cast to the horizon. 50 yards is fine for a beginner, you'll learn to go further as you progress. Talk to other anglers, we're usually a social lot and 99% of us will be more than willing to help usually by showing you(you do get the VERY odd miserable sod who'll tell you to bu**er off) Ther are some good books on sea fishing(try Amazon) The main thing is to enjoy it, even if you dont catch it doesnt matter. And finally, even if you think they are silly, DONT be frightened to ask questions on here. We've ALL had to learn from the beginning so we've ALL been where you are now. Worried about asking daft questions incase someone laughs or takes the pi** beleive me we wont. On here we are all very obliging and will answer to the best of our ability
Anything else?????Just ask
ianbass
ianbass

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 am

Quotes from Ian (with mine tacked on, Smile

"First thing I'd do is change my tackle shop!!!" Yep, that advice is rubbish, is there a lot of Carp fishing gear on display? i think i know what the person selling seafishing gear next to the coast is more interested in, and it ain't salt.

"The line seems a little heavy, 15-18lb is usually more than eneough obviously with a 60lb shockleader and you'll cast further with thinner line." Yep, 15LB is a good beach fishing line weight (do not worry about make, a line costing £4-£5 is all i have used since i started and i do catch now and again Smile

"My first bit of advice is DONT go mad and buy LOADS of tackle" Yep, as Ian says, there is nothing worse than buying hundreds of quids worth of gear only to fish once in your life.

"50 yards is fine for a beginner, you'll learn to go further as you progress." eeerm? i have a long way to go yet Smile no honest, the biggest Bass Ali ever caught (so far) was 40 yds out

" And finally, even if you think they are silly, DONT be frightened to ask questions on here. We've ALL had to learn from the beginning so we've ALL been where you are now." Oh yes, how true, the moment you stop learning is when that lid has been nailed down and the Furness has fired up, the curtains have closed and the choral music has started and you have this conveyor belt controlled moving feeling

Ian, bless, he has these inspirations now and again and like these they are very good advice Smile
i did say now and again Smile

It's when you see his name next to the for sale ads that's when you need to worry Smile
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am

Stephen(Sunday name, your in trouble) You are a cheeky git!!! Laughing
ianbass
ianbass

Back to top Go down

Post by piggy8874 Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks guys, all information taken aboard, thanks so much for the great advice.

piggy8874

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down