Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW TO SEA FISHING

4 posters

Go down

NEW TO SEA FISHING  Empty NEW TO SEA FISHING

Post by SEAnewbie Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

Sorry if this post drags a little, just decided id like to get back into fishing. Only snag is i slung all my gear a while back. So i am going to buy some new set ups e.g. Course and maybe a pike set up. But i wanted to give sea fishing a go went once years back and i enjoyed it. Looking on the web only wanted a entry level rod so i might go for a tf gear set up only cheap!

in aware you need a shock leader but how much of this do i need before i tie it too my line?
i live in Cardiff and there are some good spots around not too far from me.

Also in likely to be doing some beach fishing and also off the rocks,pier sea wall so what would the best rod or rods would be best?

Sorry to be a pain

Jake

SEAnewbie

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-04-03

Back to top Go down

NEW TO SEA FISHING  Empty Re: NEW TO SEA FISHING

Post by ianbass Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Jake

welcome to the site. If you have a look around there is plenty of reasonable quality rods/reels/tackle at cheap prices. 12-13ft rod with 4-8oz casting will do, any 070 or 080 fixed spool reel. As for line, check with your local tackle dealer, 15lb is normally fine for most beach work but if you are doing some rock fishing you might need something around the 20-25lb.

Shockleader......10lb for every oz of lead. i.e. 50lb for 5oz leads 60 for 6oz leads is the general rule BUT i only use 5oz leads and always use 60lb leader(better safe than sorry) Length of a leader is usually twice the length of the rod plus 5 turns around the spool of the reel.

My advice to you is go into your local tackle shops and ask for advice. Explain what you want and how much you have to spend and where you intend to fish. He will want you as a customer in the future so SHOULD give good advice. If you have several shops go into them all and see which one you like best and will do you the best deal. They'll all want your buisness!!!!! Also beware the ebay bargain!!!! if it looks to good to be true......it is!!!! especially if you're not too sure what your looking for.

If there is anything you are not sure of then DO NOT hesitate to ask on here. We have all been where you are and worried about asking questions that you might think silly or I really should know that. If you dont ask......you'll never find out Very Happy

If you are not in too much of a rush to get a rod and reel, keep an eye on the classified section of the site or ianbay as it is affectionately called. I can usually sort out some cheap rods and reels.

Good luck, and welcome back to sea fishing
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SEAnewbie Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Ian you have been most helpful with some good advice ill have a little snoop around online and also on here too seem to have some cracking deals around, this forum did look most user friendly about, i also go down Cornwall every year so i can get some fishing done down there now. Thanks Again Ian!

SEAnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 am

No problem, thats what we are here for Very Happy
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdy Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am

Welcome lots of brains to pick on here mate !
Whilst standard beach gear will work well in Cornwall if it was me I'd make sure I took a carp or pike rod with me good to float fish and spin with and even light bottom fishing so the most versatile outfit. Keep us posted as to how you get on and most importantly enjoy yourself.
Ps Ian still has a cheap pike outfit that would suit I bet lol welcome

Birdy
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SEAnewbie Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:12 am

Cheers mate, i will keep you posted just gotta get money together hard being a student lol.Thanks again for the advice!

SEAnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:16 am

Hello,
i have a few friends in Cornwall and i have fished with them on occasion the bait they usually use is the good old sand eel on float for the pollack, limpets (off the rocks) for Wrasse and of course feather or shrimp traces for the Mackerel .
as for Cardiff then as Ian suggests local tackle shops will give an idea on bait for around there
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down