Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing Lines

+2
hallcro
jazzman
6 posters

Go down

Fishing Lines Empty Fishing Lines

Post by jazzman Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 am

Hi guys
Since i started with the Pendulum cast and the distance of the cast line plays a part of distance so i set about reading and
taking some advice on which line people prefer ive come up with two lines that are popular which i am trying out at the moment.
The sensor line i was using i had more problems you could think of and lost so much tackle it was costing me dear, i am now using
DAIWA TOURNAMENT and have cut my problems right down it maybe expensive but i don't use as much which i can only put down to
a service on the reel and a change of line. Another tip for the summer is to reduce the braking strain of your line from 15IIb to 12IIb
This section on line is by know means a statement for everybody to go out and change there line my moto is ( if it ant broke don't try to fix it )
but if you are having some problems its worth mulling over and like i am doing giving it a try you have nothing to loose only your tackle.

Below the photo's there are some important factors about fishing line which i found interesting

DAIWA TOURNAMENT / SUFIX TRITANIUM

Fishing Lines TFM080 Fishing Lines Tritanium_300_clear

Monofilament Line

This is a “High Stretch” line with good absorption factors. It’s relatively inexpensive & readily available. However, it has a shelf life due to the fact that it absorbs sunlight, general light, and water, which makes it susceptible to breaking. It also stretches when under pressure which also weakens your line. If you fish often, you should cut off a minimum of a few yards of your monofilament line each week & re-tie your lures. The first few yards get exposed the most to water & sunlight, thus becoming weaker & susceptible to breakage. For example, your ten-pound test line could be scaled down to a two-pound test line.

Fluorocarbon Line

This is a “Low Stretch” line which is typically abrasion resistant & virtually invisible to fish – a perfect combination for the fisherman. Unlike Monofilament, it does not absorb water & sunlight & therefore does not break down as easily, & has a much longer shelf life. In general though, it is much more expensive than Monofilament line but the trade off is worth it. At a minimum, you should be using a fluorocarbon leader on all your monofilament lines. If you can afford to, then spool up with half monofilament & the other half with fluorocarbon (join your lines using a uni-knot) – or better yet, just spool up with 100% fluorocarbon. It may be more expensive, but in the long run will pay for itself.

Braided Line

This is a “No Stretch” line with amazing strength and a long shelf life. The line diameters it comes in are much smaller than that of monofilament or fluorocarbon, giving you a lot more line capacity on your spool. It can be expensive though & generally is more visible to fish, especially in clear water. You should use a fluorocarbon leader on your braided line in order to not spook the fish. You can use a uni-knot and tie both your braided line & fluorocarbon line together, or, use a swivel to connect your lines.

Another very important note: Before you begin spooling up with braided line, your spool will need some sort of backing put on it first. For example, put a piece of tape on your empty spool first, then spool up your braided line overtop of your tape…or, put a couple yards of monofilament on your empty spool first, then continue with the braided line (again, use a uni-knot to tie the two lines together). If you do not use some type of backing on your spool first, your braided line could/will “slip” against the metal spool each time you set the hook – regardless of how tight you have your drag set. Some packages may even come with some sort of backing material.

( Jazzman ) Ron
jazzman
jazzman
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-10

https://ron44.homeserver.com

Back to top Go down

Fishing Lines Empty DAIWA TOURNAMENT

Post by hallcro Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 am

DAIWA TOURNAMENT is the best line i have ever used it coat about £10 a spool, i use the 15 pound break.
hallcro
hallcro
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Fishing Lines Empty Re: Fishing Lines

Post by h4ppy-chris Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:26 am

top post ron some good reading there nice one Very Happy
h4ppy-chris
h4ppy-chris
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2009-03-07

http://www.uk-sea-fishing.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Sat May 08, 2010 12:36 am

"hallcro"]DAIWA TOURNAMENT is the best line i have ever used it coat about £10 a spool, i use the 15 pound break.[/quote]

I too use the Daiwa only I use the SENSOR 15lb (6.8kg) which is 0.370mm, That maybe a little thicker than your tournament, but I haven't had a problem with it. It was £7.99p for 925 meters from West coast tackle, or about £8.99 for the bright yellow.
Fishing Lines Diawa_12
Buck
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Sat May 08, 2010 2:21 am

I know there is a lot of spools / line a whole lot better and more expensive, but i have only ever used the Elcheapo £4.49 15LB mono, never yet had a snap Very Happy Very Happy
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 am

"Tink"]I know there is a lot of spools / line a whole lot better and more expensive, but i have only ever used the Elcheapo £4.49 15LB mono, never yet had a snap Very Happy Very Happy[/quote]

I think your right mate, why pay loads for line..the fish don't care what colour etc it is.

Personally I prefer the Diawa Sensor as I've had a bad experience with some spools of line. I remember one spool I bought was just like one of those slinky things that kids play with on the stairs. Some cheap line is very thick also so once you've attached say 60lb shock leader you have a huge knot that catches your tip when casting.

For my own peace of mind I dont want to go fishing and end up sat there undoing a huge birds nest or wasting time putting new line on my reel. That said I'm sure I got a huge cheap spool of Ultima ..(something) that was ok. Also I love my mag elite and like to treat her to expensive (£7.99) line Laughing

Buck Very Happy
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 am

I think your right mate, why pay loads for line..the fish don't care what colour etc it is.

Personally I prefer the Diawa Sensor as I've had a bad experience with some spools of line. I remember one spool I bought was just like one of those slinky things that kids play with on the stairs. Some cheap line is very thick also so once you've attached say 60lb shock leader you have a huge knot that catches your tip when casting.

For my own peace of mind I dont want to go fishing and end up sat there undoing a huge birds nest or wasting time putting new line on my reel. That said I'm sure I got a huge cheap spool of Ultima ..(something) that was ok. Also I love my mag elite and like to treat her to expensive (£7.99) line Laughing

Buck Very Happy

oooooh the expensive stuff eh! Laughing
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Fishing Lines Empty Ultima Power Flex

Post by FishingwithFrank Mon May 10, 2010 2:22 am

Last week Chris gave me a tapered shockleader i was very impressed so yesterday i went to ossy tackle shop and bought a spool with 5 on its a Ultima powerflex 15lb to 50lb 0.35mm to 0.65mm it cost £6-99 im looking forward to getting it wet in North Wales....Frank
FishingwithFrank
FishingwithFrank
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 415

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Mon May 10, 2010 3:18 am

Are you still using fixed spool frank or multiplier?
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FishingwithFrank Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 am

Oh im still on the fixed spool Rob i dont like those multipliers except for boat fishing, I can get as far as i need to with the fixed spool and even with the breaks on full id still get a birds nest so better sticking to what you know apart from that ive not got a lot of cash spare so i will have to make do....Frank
FishingwithFrank
FishingwithFrank
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 415

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 am

like you said Frank stick to what you know, old saying time, if it aint broke dont fix it Very Happy
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down