Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rays win comp

4 posters

Go down

Rays win comp Empty Rays win comp

Post by Davey Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:43 am

Saturday evening and it was my local tackle shop comp night, so decided to give chale a go for a ray, arrived and was ready for the start at 7pm. it was a gorgeous evening, although the sea was clear and calm which isn't good for rays.

Rays win comp 20130706_204920_zpsf41dbbc6

I started off with sandeel and mackerel wrap on 4/0 clip down rig hit as far as possible. Apart from a couple of small tugs nothing happened till 10pm when I had a classic ray bite, a couple of nods then the rod pulled hard round. the fish fought hard all the way in and the result was this beauty, a small eyed of 9lb 1oz.

Rays win comp 20130706_220427_zpsb3046013

Photos taken and she was slipped back, as this is a catch and release comp. Quickly baiting up again, and within ten minutes I was in again this time a smaller one,, but it still counted at 5lb 4oz.

Rays win comp 20130706_223031_zps6b5ed6f0

Darkness arrived so I decided to stick a scratching rig out on one rod hopefully to bag up on pout and doggies, the pout for this comp have to be 10 inches and an hour later I'd had about 20 all undersize, so back to the clip down and sandeel. well the comp ended and all I could add was an insize pout of 8oz so my total for the night was 14lb 13oz, good enough for the win.
Davey
Davey
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Rays win comp Empty Re: Rays win comp

Post by Tink Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:25 am

Stunning! Well done Davey thumbs 
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishfinder Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 am

Well done, a good effort & deserved win mate. Now send some of those fish up here.
Fishfinder
Fishfinder
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Well done Davey, as usual, great post and superb photo's

Cliff, I take it it was a fruitless trip on Saturday
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishfinder Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 pm

A Whiting that was literally 3" long & a doggie as I reeled in after giving my bait away cos I had enough. A lad who fished where I normally go had a smoothie as long as his leg & the lads with him went home early because they were sick of pulling in doggies. You cant win. I set that rod up & gave it a firm flick, it was easily over 120 yds but the joint made some strange noises so I think I will try to get a short butt that the tip fits into rather than a spigot & ease the stress on the tip joint but it works nice. Hope you won your match.
Fishfinder
Fishfinder
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down