Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th March. Bassing

4 posters

Go down

5th March. Bassing Empty 5th March. Bassing

Post by Davey Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 am

Friday morning I was down on the beach early digging Lugworm for the evening,managed about 40 big ones. Left home again at 5pm and after collecting a load of King Rag I was set up at the 1st mark by 6.15pm.

High water was at 2.30am Saturday, so the plan was to fish the last hour of the ebb and the tide up till midnight, then move around the headland to the other mark, where I had the 2 schoolies the week before and fish till the 1st of the ebb.

Both rods would be using 2 hook flappers with Lug on one hook and Rag on the other, hooks were strong 1/0 baitholders. After an hour I had the 1st rattle which continued so striking I felt some weight, thinking it could be a flattie, unfortunately it was a big shore crab, hooked in the arse, and he was a grumpy bugger trying to nip me while I unhooked him.

An hour later I had another similar bite struck and again felt some weight but this dropped off 20 yards out, so not sure if it was another crab or a fish.By 11pm I was fishless, despite a few more small bites, none of which were strikeable, so it was time for a move.

Was set up at the 2nd venue just gone 11.20pm, the tide was stil out away but was flooding fast. Well I poured myself a coffee and decided to have a pee, when I looked over to see my rod nodding, not a big bite but the best I'd had so I ruhed over and struck, at first I thought I was stuck as the rod bent into something solid, but then realised this was moving and shaking its head. I took it easy with the fish fighting hard in the shallow water but eventually the fish was flapping in the waters edge, nice sized Bass, whch weighed 5lb 6oz.

5th March. Bassing 5lb_6o10

Photo taken I wadded out and slipped her back and she swam off none the worst for her encounter.
Well that was a good start, finished my Pee lol! rolled a cigarette and read a text on my phone, when I looked back up, the rod I'd just cast out had a major slack line, turning the handle of my Abu 6500 frantically I finally caught up with the fish and it felt another good one, this one fighting even harder in the shallow water, as it neared the shore I saw the line cutting through the inky black water from left to right as fish tried to escape, eventually I landed the fish 20 yards down the beach, again another Bass, almost identical to the previous one going 5lb 1oz.

5th March. Bassing 5lb_1o10

Again photo taken I slipped her back to fight another day.
Things were looking good, 2 good Bass within half an hour, well by 3pm I'd had one more small bite which I'd missed and that was it, no more fish not even schoolies so I called it a night. A crackng nights fishing though with 2 good fish and a nice starry night.
Davey
Davey
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

5th March. Bassing Empty Re: 5th March. Bassing

Post by h4ppy-chris Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:52 am

some nice fish there Davey Very Happy
h4ppy-chris
h4ppy-chris
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2009-03-07

http://www.uk-sea-fishing.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Moscowmale Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 am

Davey!
Great report mate!

I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous ......... yes I am!
Moscowmale
Moscowmale
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

5th March. Bassing Empty post

Post by jazzman Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:56 am

Nice one mate not many people do catch and release but i suppose if your getting them in numbers its worth putting some back
its a pity the conservation people carn't see not all fish are taken well done mate nice photo's

cheers Ron
jazzman
jazzman
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-10

https://ron44.homeserver.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content