Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Sea Fishing Rigs

+8
Welsh Wheels
Ben09A11
Buck2003
blakdog
ianb1303
h4ppy-chris
Nevergotnowt
jazzman
12 posters

Go down

My Sea Fishing Rigs Empty My Sea Fishing Rigs

Post by jazzman Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

1 Up 1 Down Rig

This rig really is one of my favourites.

My Sea Fishing Rigs 1up1down

You will be surprised how many fish you catch by using the 1up 1 down rig at between 20 and 40 yards out. Use a light rod and bait up with ragworm, but only thread them about 1cm onto the hook. The whole of the rag will wriggle around drawing the fish in. Also, by using a 2-3oz plain rolling lead the bait is allowed to move around finding the fish.

------------------------------------------------

Long Range Single Clip Down Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Clippeddownsingle

A reliable rig for bigger baits and long distances over clean ground.

This is the standard clipped down rig I use.
It releases the hook every time, and because of the use of the SRT Spring there is never any problem due to the snood stretching.
The Impact Shield also protects your bait as it hits the water.

------------------------------

Clipped Down Pennel Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Clippeddownpennel

Clipped down big baits at long range.

This is a rig for fishing big baits such as peeler crab, squid or large bunches of worms
at distance. Any combination of hooks can be used in the pennel as long as the top
hook is the same size or smaller than the main hook. The hooks featured in this
diagram are what I would use for cod in winter over fairly clean ground. Clipping the rig
down ensures that it is more aerodynamic which as well as casting further also protects the bait.

Tip:
To bend the eye of the top hook inwards hold the hook with one pair of pliers and heat the eye with a lighter for 5 to 10 seconds (until glowing).
With a second pair of pliers angle the eye to the desired position. Cool the hook with water.

-----------------------------

Clipped Up Pennel Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Clippeduppennel

A good bass and cod rig.

This rig is great for bass and cod. It allows a big bait such as peeler crab, mussel or squid to be cast a long way and fished as close to the sea bed as possible. It is also possible to use long snoods with this pennel rig.

Tip:
On impact with the water it is possible for the neoprene to slip over the bait clip resulting in the bait clip being lost. To prevent this I now bend the wire at the top of the clip right over (away from the clip) and squash it back against the tubing - see below. It works a treat!

---------------------

Pulley Pennel Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Pulleypennel

ncrease the chance of landing a fish over the rough stuff.

The pulley pennel is designed to cast and present a bait like any standard rig, but when you hook a fish and it applies resistance over 5oz (if you're using a 5oz lead) the weight pulls up out of the way reducing the chances of snagging and losing the fish on the retrieve. The pennel allows big baits to be fished, but a single hook may be used.

Tip:
This rig is great over reasonably rough ground, but if things get too snaggy I tend to use the rough ground rig. The reason for this is that if you hook a fish and the lead does manage to jam in a rock or a big clump of kelp and the rig snaps ANYWHERE you have lost the fish.

-------------------------------

Rough Ground Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Roughground

A cheap, strong rig to cope with thick kelp and rocks.

This rig is designed with two purposes in mind - to land a fish over very rough ground and to be cheap enough to lose every couple of casts. All of the components of this rig are beefed up to resist the inevitable abrasion that comes with rock fishing. There are many types of rotten bottom system that can be used, but my preference is the Veals Rotten Bottom Clip as they are reliable, cheap and less prone to snagging than some bulkier systems. If you do opt for the Veals clips I would always use a pair of pliers to open the hook part out a little more to guarantee that the lead releases. or in place of a lead you can use wheel nuts which you can pick up easy

CAUTION: THIS RIG SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH ANY FORM OF POWER CASTING.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Hook Paternoster

My Sea Fishing Rigs 3hook

A paternoster is a term used to describe a rig that has the hook length or lengths working at right angles to the rig body.
A rig to use for close to medium range fishing using combinations of baits when fish are few and far between, or to maximize
catches when fish such as whiting are feeding well.

THREE HOOK RIG
Rig body length - 48 inches
Hook swivel positions - 16, 32 and 46 inches
Hook lengths - low 15, middle 15, top 12 inches
Bait clips - No

---------------------------------------------
Bommer Rig

My Sea Fishing Rigs Bomberr

A favourite with the competition anglers. Similar to a standard two hook rig, but uses a long hook length at the top and a short hook length at the bass,
but both hooks pull tight into a single Impact Shield to maximize casting range.

Excellent for medium to long range and targets most species, but especially good for whiting, codling, coalfish and dogfish.

BOMBER RIG
Rig body length - 36 inches
Hook lengths - low 13, top 33 inches
Hook swivel positions - 14 inches and 34 inches
Bait clip - Impact Shield
Bait stops - Yes

Long and Low

My Sea Fishing Rigs Longlow

Designed to cast a decent sized bait to long range and fish a long hook length tied in close behind the lead.
Uses a standard bait clip at the base below the anchored hook swivel and an inverted bait clip higher
up the rig body to hold the long hook length during the cast.

Does well with rays, big cod and bass, especially with a run of tide evident.

LONG AND LOW RIG
Rig body length - 24 inches
Hook swivel positions - 2 inches
Hook length - 40 inches
Bait clip - Bait shield or standard bait clip
Bait stop - Yes

Long Range Wishbone

My Sea Fishing Rigs Lrwish

A wishbone rig uses a hook length off the rig body as normal, but this then ends in a swivel. A second length of line slides through the
free eye of this swivel with a hook on each end. Stops or secondary small swivels are used to restrict the sliding movement and to leave
some hook length for the baits to fish close together, but separately.

The baits close together give a high scent trail for feeding fish to follow, and a big fish will probably eat both baits. But the baits being small are also easily takenindividually by smaller fish. A compromise rig, but very effective in a tide run.

A reliable close range alternative to the wishbone is to use a short hook length as normal at the top of a rig, with a lower hook length carrying a wishbone system. Takes virtually all species.

LONG RANGE WISHBONE RIG
Rig body length - 38 inches
Hook swivel position - 36 inches
Main hook length - 24 inches
Wishbone length - 20 inches
Bait clip - Bait shield
Bait stops - Yes

Last edited by jazzman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzman
jazzman
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-10

https://ron44.homeserver.com

Back to top Go down

My Sea Fishing Rigs Empty Re: My Sea Fishing Rigs

Post by Nevergotnowt Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for that Very Happy ive been putting the hook and weight all on the line from the reel now i know .

Regards
Jay

Nevergotnowt

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by h4ppy-chris Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:59 pm

top post ron Very Happy
h4ppy-chris
h4ppy-chris
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2009-03-07

http://www.uk-sea-fishing.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ianb1303 Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Just a point, the Long and Low rig is the only rig I use with just a slight alteration. The top clip for putting the line over I use a plastic clip and put an srt spring under it so the snood is under tension. IMHO this is the perfect rig for ALL occaisions as it keeps the bait on the deck all the time

Still a very good post though
ianb1303
ianb1303
Poster
Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by blakdog Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 am

Now that makes a refreshing change .... for once somebody has actually described a proper "bomber" rig and called a paternoster a paternoster. I've lost count of times I've seen people call a paternoster a "flapper" (hate that term) and called any sort of paternoster a bomber ..... it infuriates me as the new terms have simply come from the internet I'm sure, probably from some beginner who didn't know what the proper term was.

As you show jazzman, the bomber is a very individual rig and a very good one as well - you can also use a pennel set up on the bottom trace and a single hook on the top if fishing for Cod or Bass and it allows you to use a variety of sizes of bait .... very effective. The bomber is a bit prone to tangles on the retreive so I tend to use different colour or strength hook lengths for the two traces as it helps to sort out any tangles ..... I'd also suggest always using bait stops on all your single hook set ups .... a sequin "stopped" with a silicon float stop is a very handy, cheap and neat bait stop solution.
blakdog
blakdog
good poster
good poster

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-04-22

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 am

Great Ron those diagrams will help lots of people I'm sure, thanks Very Happy
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben09A11 Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Great rigs ron brilliant what do u catch with these rigs?
Ben09A11
Ben09A11
good poster
good poster

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Wheels Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 am

what does he catch???? that's a very good question lol.....but they do look good don't they lol!

Andy
Welsh Wheels
Welsh Wheels
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 am

Welsh Wheels wrote:what does he catch???? that's a very good question lol.....but they do look good don't they lol!

Andy

lol! lol! lol!

Come on Ron we eagerly await your response lol!
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcrab Sat May 09, 2009 4:37 am

Buck2003 wrote:
Welsh Wheels wrote:what does he catch???? that's a very good question lol.....but they do look good don't they lol!

Andy

lol! lol! lol!

Come on Ron we eagerly await your response lol!
were still waiting ron lol!
kingcrab
kingcrab
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

My Sea Fishing Rigs Empty post

Post by jazzman Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 am

Hi guys
Sea fishing rigs
Most of us when we have been fishing get home and clean off our tackle which consists of rod & reel but how many people
think about putting there rigs in fresh water we wash the line under the tap why not our rigs if the reel line goes over a sharp rock it can chip the line
and more so with rigs if the line does gets chipped it will weaken that line by 50% so if we have a 60IIb rig line you would be casting a 6oz lead
with a 30IIb rig line. so i do think its good practice to check the line when baiting up it doesn't take long and if the line is damaged then put it in the recycle
box for the next rig making session. when your also using crimps to suspend swivels for the snoods on the line make sure not to crimp to tight this can also have the same affect as a chip in the line. pulley rigs are at the moment very popular but should not be used any more than about 2/3 outings before being recycled as the ware on the
line through the swivel can weaken the stretch and will result in a snap off. at the bottom end of any rig when attaching the lead i have found the safest link
being the Breakaway fast links i have seen people using and on one or two of the diagrams they show ( Gemini Rig Clips ) they are dangerous and the lead can brake free and fly off. this post is not ment to teach people how to make rigs but to point out the dangers of badly made rigs

My Sea Fishing Rigs Capture5My Sea Fishing Rigs Capture6

The Dexter QF swivel system has been in production for over 20 years, and is still the strongest and most secure joining arrangement available.
Part B, the smaller piece on the right, fits into Part A, the larger piece on the left, as the name implies, quickly and securely.
The QF is also well known for not being prone to getting tangled in weed very easily.

My Sea Fishing Rigs Capture4

I have used this type of connection now for a number of years and they are 99% secure and have had no reports of these snapping. and can be a quick
and easy way of changing rigs with no messing if in the tackle shops the price puts you off try this item number 350265382310 on E-Bay i get mine from
THE ORIGINAL DEXTER QUICK FASTEN SWIVEL SYSTEM.

For the price of £4.99 you get 10 of the Part As and 20 of the Part Bs - the equivalent of 10 packs.

This has been an information post for everyone be safe and be safe for others

cheers Ron
jazzman
jazzman
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-10

https://ron44.homeserver.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:32 am

Another good report Ron, It seems you are back with a vengance and are providing much valuable information cheers
Greatly appreciated Boss
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by h4ppy-chris Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:36 am

thanks ron ive been looking for DEXTER QUICK FASTEN SWIVEL at the right price Very Happy
h4ppy-chris
h4ppy-chris
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2009-03-07

http://www.uk-sea-fishing.org

Back to top Go down

Post by kingbamb Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 am

good report mate
kingbamb
kingbamb
good poster
good poster

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcrab Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 am

god report ron but i prefer fastlinks probably get 30 for the price of 10 dexters lot easier to use with cold hands as well
kingcrab
kingcrab
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wijonty Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 am

THANKS RON IV BEEN LOOKING FOR THEM i said you was missed
wijonty
wijonty