Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09

2 posters

Go down

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 Empty St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09

Post by blakdog Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:19 am

I'd originally planned a trip to the Bird Reserve end of the beach on Saturday night but a quick look at the weather forecast Friday evening changed my mind and so I headed off at the last moment to fish the flood on a midnight tide, deciding to fish amongst the rock groynes to maximise my fishing time.

Things had roughened up a bit with a SW breeze and it was obvious from the off that the Whiting were not anything like as thick on the ground as my previous session; they came out steadily throughout the night though really nothing of any great size with the general stamp of them about 8oz. On the plus side the reduction in the Whiting hordes does give the other species a chance to go for the Ragworm and Black Lugworm baits and it was just as I was resigning myself to a so-so session that one of the rods bent over and I was into something better than a Whiting. I was hoping for a Bass but not dissappointed to see a Codling appear on the beach - it went about 3lb I reckon but was a terrible "stretch" and would normally have gone back to put on some weight but having taken the hook way, way down it had to come home for the pot all the same.

Things continued with the odd whiting showing till just on the top of the tide when a good bite on the ragworm turned up a real treat for me, a Sole. I catch them rarely (mostly because I tend to fish for Bass or Cod with big baits and hooks) and this one was well worth catching ... it tipped the Avons down to 1lb 8oz at home, not my biggest ever but not far off and certainly a meal to look forward to!

Normally I would have liked to stay for the ebb but with things to do in the morning I couldn't stay and so reluctantly started packing up at midnight. Just by way of bonus as I was packing one rod up the other had a good hit on Black Lug and a very, very lively Eel of 12 oz or a pound hit the beach in a very bad mood. It was entertaining to say the least, the damn thing climbed up my arm, attached itself to my leg and at one point had its tail wrapped round the rod butt! I have never come across such a pissed off Eel and considering that I have been catching the things regularly for over 30 years and can normally deal with them easily, it made me look like a complete beginner! Having completely failed to get it under control I was relieved when it eventually came off the hook by itself and slithered down the beach back into the water leaving me to scrape off the slime, pack the rest of the gear and head home for a few hours sleep.

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 100_0674

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 100_0683

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 100_0696

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 100_0698
blakdog
blakdog
good poster
good poster

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-04-22

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09 Empty Re: St Osyth Beach, Essex - 2nd October 09

Post by kingcrab Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:29 am

great report blackdog couple of nice fish there mate
kingcrab
kingcrab
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down