Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol

2 posters

Go down

Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol Empty Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol

Post by Welsh Wheels Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:52 am

As with all things in life, Kayaks... and kayak fishing... comes down to budget, transportation, weight and your ability to control one lol! But, Kayak fishing is becoming more and more popular now, mainly due to costs compared to owning and running a boat, but it can still be expensive so when choosing a Kayak take your time, look around and think about transport and storage. Don't be like a kid in a sweet shop and don't buy the first one you see!
I have a Wilderness Ripper sit on top Kayak, mainly because it's smaller than most at only 8' long, only weighs 41 lbs/19 kg and at 30" wide is stable enough to do what I need it to do, plus I can either put it on the car roof or it even fits inside the car (I have a Nissan Note at the moment). RRP for one is around £399, but if you look around like I did (only paid £220 brand new) you will find them a lot cheaper. Not too sure I would want to hook into a Conger or Tope from one though Laughing

[img]Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol Ripperside[/img]

[img]Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol Rippertop[/img]

That's not mine by the way, mine's Red.

Specially designed fishing kayaks are usually around the 13.5' mark for single seaters, and if you want the full kit and kaboodle including fishfinders etc they will set you back in the region of £1300 - £1800. More basic ones can be found for around £570. If you are strong enough, or have a helper available, then you'll be okay, but do do do think about transport and storage, and cost, how often will you use it?? Don't get me wrong, the fully kitted out ones are the 'golden balls' of fishing Kayaks, rod holders, fishfinder, plenty of storage etc, some even come with a rudder.

Whatever your choice, have fun, wear a wetsuit or clothes that'll keep you warm, catch a lot of fish and most importantly be safe! Wear a life jacket or bouyancy aid!

Tight lines!! Very Happy
Welsh Wheels
Welsh Wheels
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Kayaks...mine's a lil ripper lol Empty RODS

Post by kingfisher Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:06 am

Mine a 10ft tarpon 100 need a bit bigger for me Very Happy the ripper would sink hehehehehe

Altho the pros use long rods believe me it is a lot easier to use a short one remember you got to keep balance when you bringing your haul into the kayak i use either a 6ft boat rod or i have a short kayak rod that is 4 1/2 ft quite ok for the job, altho no prob in using what you got now just a matter of seeing what comfortable for you.
remember to wear lifejacket and get a leash for your paddle [ bit of a pain if you paddle floats away hehehhehe] Shocked
kingfisher
kingfisher
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search