Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multi or fixed spool?

4 posters

Go down

Multi or fixed spool?  Empty Multi or fixed spool?

Post by Leeross Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 am

I am seriously thinking of changing to a multiplier reel but have never used one befor so would This be a good idea ?? If So what we be the best for a beginner and what difference would it make .
Leeross
Leeross
Poster
Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Multi or fixed spool?  Empty Re: Multi or fixed spool?

Post by Birdy Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Whilst I'm the biggest fan of multipliers on the planet I concede a good fixed spool can do the job just as well and I'm NOT talking about the £25 ones, so if you are happy with the fixed spool stick with it.
However that said I get more satisfaction from my multipliers and a well made multiplier is a joy to use. Ignore all the scare stories and get help in setting it up properly I can take someone who has not used one before and have them casting over 100 yards in less than an hour.
Enjoy learning you will get a feeling of achievement from it.
Regards Birdy

Birdy
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Got to agree with Birdy. A good quality fixed spool reel can cast just as far as a multiplier nowadays. It can be expensive to find out you dont like a multiplier. I use one rod of each, my main rod(the one I use most often)is a multipiler, but I do have a FS rod and reel which I use at certain venues. I have no problem using either as I can cast them roughly the same distance(no jokes about 35yards thank you Stephen). A good quality FS rod with a breakaway Canon fitted with a good quality FS reel is just as good as any multi rod and reel.

Birdy, one question.........Abu's.......well made? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdy Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 am

If you don't want to commit to buying try borrowing one to have a go with and yes I would recommend ABUs the biggest problem I have with mine is who to leave them to in my will lol !
Do the maths pay £130 ish for a quality one and it will last you 20+ years if looked after compare that to cheap ones and cheap fixed spools that last maybe 2-3 years its actually cheaper to own the quality one. I know I'm going to get "I don't like ABUs" from Ian and I concede there are other makes nearly as good lol

Birdy
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdy Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 am

Just as an afterthought the most common mistake I see is buying a multiplier with a level wind DO NOT do this !
It seems like a good idea but badly restricts the reels performance !

Birdy
top poster
top poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:39 am

I can see you getting VERY confused with all these points of view, however, they are important. Birdy is right I dont like Abu's at all I use the Daiwa SLOSH 20 which is a far more robust reel than the Abu 6500. Possibly the most important question you must ask is....What kind of fishing are you going to do. Are the beaches you fish clear sand or are they rocky? If they are clear beaches then an Abu 6500, a Daiwa 7ht(black one) or the Akios 6 range will be fine. However if you fish rocky marks then a Daiwa Sl20sh or 30 or an Okuma Magnetix 20 or even a Greys Seven would be my choice.
I will agree with Birdy, DONT go down the levelwind route. it will slow your cast down and you loose distance.

Definately borrow on if you can before you decide if at all possible.

I know it must seem complicated but these are questions that need sorting before you decide

Again, dont go for the cheap and cheerfull one they are false economy

If I had to choose an all round multiplier reel it would be the SLOSH 20 with the Greys Seven and Magnetix a close second. In my opinion its ALWAYS worth having a reel that might not cast as far BUT will pull ANYTHING in, than a reel that may cast a little further but at the first sign of a lump of weed/carrierbag full of water or even big fish will strip its gears and be useless. Its all personal choice
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am

reels are what you want to use, if it is more comfortable and user friendly to stick with a fixed spool then do so, if a Multi is your choice then its multi, borrow one and try it,
i use a Abu 6500 and a Diawa 6hr for the beach and a Magnetix 40 and a Abu 7000i for the pier.
Alison uses a fixed spool every time, except for one place where boat rods are better (huge fence behind you) and she uses a multi
i also use a fixed spool but it is for one reason, Makky feathers, a fixed spool when feathering outclasses a multi

but it is as previously stated, do not go cheap, a £40 abu 6500 or Diawa 20 off ebay will out perform a £40 brand new off the shelf Chinese thing everytime
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down