Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions !

5 posters

Go down

A few questions ! Empty A few questions !

Post by Leeross Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 am

Hey all can anyone help me with these questions ?
1,does casting distance matter .
2,what is a rotten bottom set up and what does it consist off.
3,how long befor high tide should I start fishing .

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.
Leeross
Leeross
Poster
Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

A few questions ! Empty Re: A few questions !

Post by tomcat Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 am

Just my views.

1. Casting distance is a tool to an end. Putting a baited hook where fish are most likely to be feeding. If you can cast 150 yards you have the option of casting anywhere between 1 yard and 150, depending where fish are most likely to be feeding. Being only able to cast 75 yards effectively halves the options open to you.

2. A rotten bottom rig is one where a weak link allows the casting weight to be sacrificed should it become stuck. Allowing any hooked fish to be, hopefully, still landed.

3. The time best suited for fishing will vary from mark to mark and for species sought. Some marks produce better at low water rather than high. Local knowledge is the ultimate decider in this respect.
tomcat
tomcat
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

A few questions ! Empty Thanks

Post by Leeross Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks tomcat for your response really helpful . THANKS
Leeross
Leeross
Poster
Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

I think, as anglers we are getting obsessed by distance casting. Yes it can be a help to be able to cast to the horizon, however, fish can be just 30 yards out so my advice is dont become obsessed thinking if you cannot cast 150yards your missing out, your probably not. You will be casting over as many fish as your casting to. Just cast as far as you can but either practice on a field or the beach or, if there is one on the IOW a casting instructor will help.
In all honesty,you will only need a 'rotten bottom' when you fishing over rough ground or rock fishing. Have a look on youtube, Im sure you'll find something.
As for times well how long is a piece of string? It varies from venue to venue, some are good high tide venues some are better low tide venues. By talking to local anglers, tackle shops etc you will find out which are which.
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Just to add to this, the biggest fish i caught off the beach (i am not counting the pier) was a 2lb Bass the casting distance for that was around 40 yds, i have also been with the boss (Alison) who caught another Bass at 20 yds and in the same places we were with people who i say are bombing Ireland (huge distance casting) and got nothing, around here in blackpool the best Bass are in the crashing Waves and as many know the biggest waves are closest to shore, i have been out on the north pier and caught tiny whiting but on the wall where the waves are they are catching very nice fish
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ianbass Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Tink wrote:Just to add to this, the biggest fish i caught off the beach (i am not counting the pier) was a 2lb Bass the casting distance for that was around 40 yds, i have also been with the boss (Alison) who caught another Bass at 20 yds and in the same places we were with people who i say are bombing Ireland (huge distance casting) and got nothing, around here in blackpool the best Bass are in the crashing Waves and as many know the biggest waves are closest to shore, i have been out on the north pier and caught tiny whiting but on the wall where the waves are they are catching very nice fish

Yeah, but's let's face it, you can only cast 40 yards on a good day!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ianbass
ianbass

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 am

Depends on your venues Lee, where you were fishing the other night, I was getting the flounder about 60 yards out, also had Bass to 8.5lb from there at same distance.
Places like Yaverland you need to be hitting a good 150 yards for a chance of a ray. the back of the island, chale etc the bass and pollock can be caught at 20 yards but the rays well over a 100. as has already been said its all about experience. Learning the venues, how and when they fish, what baits and rigs and distance the fish are likely to be at. this comes with time.
Davey
Davey
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 am

As for best time to fish again depends on venue. Seaview 3 hours before high and 2 hours after. Other venues yaverland, and the back of the island can fish better on the ebb than the flood, also low water can be a good time especially for the rays., trial and error mate.
Davey
Davey
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search