Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recommendation

+2
Moscowmale
Corectus
6 posters

Go down

recommendation Empty recommendation

Post by Corectus Wed May 05, 2010 8:17 am

Hi all got new Abu Garcia Ambassadur 6500 C3 Mag.
Q what line do I use ? i.e breaking strain ect.
got given a full spool of Ultima F1 15lb 4oz Titanium, is this any good ?
if not what's recommended ?
any help on this one guys n girls scratch scratch scratch

Regards
Clive Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by Corectus on Wed May 05, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corection)
Corectus
Corectus
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2009-04-26

http://www.nwac.co.uk     http://www.mtifishing.com

Back to top Go down

recommendation Empty Re: recommendation

Post by Moscowmale Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Top reel and top line there Clive cheers

Most of us use 6500C3's in one form or another: I've got a CT Mag Hi Speed (Red) and a Premium Mag Elite (Grey & Orange). First thing you need to do is learn how to strip it to clean it, and how to set up the mechanical brakes and the magnets.
Whatever you do, don't follow the instructions provided with the reel because they are garbage!

15lb 4oz Ultima FI is a good all round line.
I'd load the reel with sufficient to get you to about 2 -3mm below the top of the spool, then tie on a tapered shock leader.
I use Bullet 60lb tapered to 16lb, and I prefer the yellow to the clear ones.

Now you need to learn how to use it.......... and how to unravel birds-nests Rolling Eyes
Moscowmale
Moscowmale
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Squiresoak Wed May 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Good deal you got there Clive Wink

The F1 Titanium is an excellent line but as you are new to multi's I would be inclined to save it until you get more competent with it as it would be a shame to have to cut it off if you get a serious nest. I like the 18lb red ice and find this is a good line for a very reasonable price.

Load your reel as evenly as you can finishing about 3 - 4 mm shy of the spool lip with the shock leader on. Tapered is definately better, don't forget it comes in 15m lengths so leave room for it.

For a start set your mags full on, with your rig and weight on hold your rod up and put the reel into free spool. Remove your thumb and let the weight hit the floor. You may have to thumb it when it hits to stop any over run. Repeat this process tightening or loosening the linear drag nut until the weight hits the floor without the spool over running too much. This will give you a basic set up to learn without too many serious nests. As you get used to the reel you can start to back the spool drag off a quarter turn at at time. Then you can start to set the mags to your preference. Enjoy the reel mate.

Hope this helps mate.

Gordon
Squiresoak
Squiresoak
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck2003 Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 am

Hi mate on my mag elite 6500 c3 ct (green) I use diawa sensor, its not the cheapest, can I just say before you put good line on your reel...why not have a play on a field and get used to the brakes (mags) etc. I love my Mag elite and even after almost a year of not being used it still cast like a dream!! IMO one of the best reels ever made! Very Happy

Buck
Buck2003
Buck2003
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

recommendation Empty post

Post by jazzman Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 am

some good advice there clive if you put the brakes on half way and work from that
the more you cast the more you get used to it well done mate a nice buy if you can
wait untill the casting starts and use it from then you should get the addvice as to where to position the reel on your rod for the max casting
jazzman
jazzman
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-10

https://ron44.homeserver.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tink Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 am

Alright Boss, i'm reading this post with interest as well as i'm just starting out with a multi but need to get another ( sorry Chris it broke???? Steve B is gonna see what he can do with it? ) but i'm lucky, i have a little Birdy guiding me along Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ps one thing i do know is that the ABU 6500 etc etc is prob the only casting ( multi ) reel you will ever need and it will last a lifetime ( according to sources )

pps i use 15LB bog standard el cheapo bargain basement line £4.99 a spool not had a snap / break in it yet Very Happy fingers crossed

Last edited by Tink on Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : still cant spell)
Tink
Tink
top poster
top poster

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: